Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Old Woman


She sits right there, at the corner of the street,
An old woman , in a piteous state
But the silent language her face speaks,
Surprises me to an astonishing rate

Her coal black eyes, their mystical depth,
Haunt my mind, day and night
The mystery in them is an unsolved one
They look like the sea reflecting the night skies

Her untidy hair, coloured brownish grey
Fall in locks over her wrinkled face
Her dry purple lips, pursed tightly
Give her countenance a special grace

She sits serenely, as if living in a trance
Unperturbed by the chaos around,
And stares at nothingness for hours together
Seeming to be deaf to any kind of sound

She doesnt beg, doesnt ask for money,
Just sits there quietly
But to me, her silence speaks out loud
And her expressions talk clearly

The meaning of richness, the meaning of greed
She knows not at all
All that she seems to be knowing is
That death is giving her a call

Still, she seems peaceful
As if nothing can bother her
Yet I fear, that day by day
Starvation takes the better of her

A day comes when I cant resist
The temptation to give her some food
But no! She declines my offering
And blesses me for my future good

And then comes the day
Which I feared all the way
I dont see that face there
No one sitting at the corner of the street
No sight of the coal eyes, or the brownish grey hair

I ask around and confirm
The suspicions her absence brought
Im blinded with emotion
All I do is, I let my tears drop

Terrible feelings of loss and pain
In my mind and heart,
they fill far and vast
I wonder what the reason is
Why these feelings still last

We were strangers to each other, unrecognised faces
Then why all this cry and pain?
And then I realize that she isnt there
And that Im never gonna see her again....

It was an unknown relation that we shared.....
It dawned on me that for me....she cared....
I feel the salty wet warmth on my face...
And move further on...in life's maze....

No comments: